Blood Meal is a 100% natural organic source of 12% nitrogen, proteins and trace minerals. As a fertilizer, Blood Meal provides a consistent source of minerals and nutrients helping to replenish depleted garden beds. Blood Meal fertilizer will slow-release nutrients over a 2 +/- month period depending on soil conditions. Blood Meal may be helpful as a deterrent to browsing animals.Blood Meal can also be used to help accelerate the composting process by providing a source of nitrogen. As your building your compost pile, dust each layer with Blood Meal and water thoroughly.
Application Rates for Blood Meal
- Preparing New Gardens / Amending Soil:
- Apply 2-3 lbs per 100 square feet and thoroughly mix into the top 3" of soil.
- Broadcast Rates:
- 10-15 lbs Blood Meal per 1,000 square feet before planting (300-500 lbs per acre)
- Side Dressings:
- Row Crops: 2 lbs per 100 row feet
- Add 1-2 tbsp per transplant hole
- Established Plants:
- Side dress with 2-4 tbsp depending on plant size and desired growth rate. Apply once a month during the growing season.
Additional Info for Blood Meal
Because Blood Meal has such a high nitrogen count, applications should be spread out enough to allow time for the plant to use the extra nutrients. Overuse could result in excessive amounts of nitrogen being present, which can damage plants instead of feeding them. This phenomenon is known as “burning” and occurs with nearly all fertilizers when they are overused.
Derived from 100% kiln dried Porcine Blood