Blood Meal 12-0-0 is a 100% natural organic source of nitrogen, proteins and trace minerals. Blood meal as a fertilizer provides a consistent source of minerals and nutrients for plants that are considered "heavy feeders." Our source of blood meal is derived from 100% Porcine (swine).
- A powerful source of organic nitrogen (12%)
- Blood meal helps restore these lost nutrients and revitalize depleted gardening beds.
- Slow release; feeds plants over a 2 month period
- Derived from 100% Porcine
- The scent of blood meal serves as a deterrent to rabbits and deer
- Also helps accelerate composting breakdown of carbon based composts such as leaves and straw
- Can be used as a fertilizer tea to feed plants.
More information about Blood Meal
Because Blood Meal has such a high nitrogen count, applications should be spread out enough to allow time for the plant to use the extra nutrients. Overuse could result in excessive amounts of nitrogen being present, which can damage plants instead of feeding them. This phenomenon is known as “burning” and occurs with nearly all fertilizers when they are overused.
Application Rates for Blood Meal
Preparing New Gardens / Amending Soil: Apply 2-3 lbs per 100 square feet and thoroughly mix into the top 3" of soil.
Broadcast Rates: 10-15 lbs Blood Meal per 1,000 square feet before planting (300-500 lbs per acre)
Side Dressings: Row Crops: 2 lbs per 100 row feet
Transplanting: Add 1-2 tbsp per transplant hole
Established Plants: Side dress with 2-4 tbsp depending on plant size and desired growth rate. Apply once a month during the growing season.
Blood Meal Tea Recipe: 1-2 tbsp per gallon of water
Derived from: 100% kiln dried Porcine Blood