Grow your own Soldier Fly Larva from the organic waste in your own home!
Well, finally there is a way to grow your own animal food with very little effort. If you own any of the following, you need to give serious consideration to this product:
How does it work?
You put the BioPod Unit outside. Take your organic table scraps (what you would normally throw away) and place inside the bin. The scraps attract all insects; however, the soldier fly is the dominant insect and will crowd out the rest.
The Soldier Fly only lives for 3 days and will lay hundreds of eggs inside your BioPod. The eggs mature into a grub. The natural tendency of the grub is to crawl up. The BioPod has a ramp for the grub to crawl up and a hole on the top of the ramp. Once the grub crawls into the hole, they fall into a removable container.
When you need to feed your animal, remove the container and you have a ready source of fresh and highly nutritious Soldier Fly grubs.
You are left with a great Organic Fertilizer!
After the Soldier Fly grub quickly eats through your waste, you have a great fertilizer left inside your BioPod. Scoop it out and place around your flowers or in your garden. Wow!
Don't let all the literature scare you.
From this page, I have lots of links to literature associated with the BioPod. Many years of research went into this product. You don't have to understand and read all of the material, but it is there if you need it. Start out simple, and then go to the other material for reference.
Where do I get Soldier Flies?
Zoom in on the map of the United States that you see on this page. If you live in Zone 7,8, or 9, Soldier Flies are native to the area. Just place your organic waste in the BioPod outside and the flies will come.
If you live outside that zone in a colder environment, you may need to get a starter kit. We sell the Phoenix Worm on this site which is the Soldier Fly. Get a couple cups of Phoenix Worms and separate the worms from the matter in the cup. Let the worms mature into flies and you are ready to go.
- Hinges provide a means to easily open the rectangular main lid using the front handle
- Pair of angled, 40˚ migration ramps allow for natural migration of grubs. Inner edge of 2" wide ramps possess a raised lip to guide grubs and optimize auto-crawl-off. Ramps lead to harvest slit at top which overhangs the entry chute of the harvest bucket.
- Covered harvest bucket auto-collects grubs for simple, no-hassle separation. Bucket fits snuggly into body and features: a drip channel that diverts condensation and precipatation away from the contents, a carrying handle to remove unit from body while providing a means of gripping while pouring out grubs, an air port slot to keep grubs from suffocating, and a top entry chute when the grubs fall.
- Convenience lid easily pivots, allowing for quick dumping of food scraps,while shielding top ventilation portal - critical for aeration and egg laying
- Heavy duty, weather-resistant construction ensures long life span, protection of colony from the elements and multi-year use
- Fresh air enters through bucket slit, passively flowing through entry chute in bucket, which leads to the harvest slot in body and exits at convenience lid - continually providing a source of fresh air
- Compact design is ideal for shade gardens and patios - compatible with forest, rural, suburban and urban settings
- Passive drainage of compost tea occurs through the permeable drainage pad and perforated drainage plate, allowing liquids to flow freely into collection area, helping to maintain aerobic conditions
- Sturdy drainage plate phyically separates active colony from liquid catchment area, allowing liquid to pass through 0.5 cm holes
- Faux stone appearance blends in naturally with landscaping
- On pods produced in May 2011 and beyond, a Barrier Lip completely surrounds the top of the body. This new lip 1) improves efficiency by virtually eliminating escapees 2) provides pregnant females with additional egg laying surfaces and 3) helps direct migrating grubs into the harvest slit.
- Divert and digest all food scraps from smelly garbage bin, kitchen insinkerator and open-air garden composter
- Re-capture valuable lipids and proteins found in kitchen waste and manure, transforming them into usable live feed for domesticated animals, pets and wildlife
- Friable compost may be used directly in the garden or as the ultimate worm bin food, producing casting faster than normal
- Family-friendly system provides children with an education in sustainability, the cycle of life, and organic gardening
- Helps reduce carbon footprint associated with food decay (and landfill methane production) by diversion and recycling
- Actively feeding grubs secrete a natural fly repellant called a synomone (an interspecies, chemical communication that alerts and warns other kinds of flies to stay away)
- Beneficial Soldier Grubs are self-separating, auto-harvesting, robust, prolific, hardy, indigenous, harmless, easy-to-store, simple to transport, dry to the touch in pupal stage, a convenient bait, and extremely nutritious!
26 1/2" long x 15 1/2" wide x 16" Tall
9" diameter of circluar top ventilation portal
Drainage Plate: 27 cm long x 44 cm wide x 0.3 cm thick
Digestion Capacity: maximum of 5 lbs (2.2 kg) per day
Food scraps (including meat) from 4-6 adults
15-20% Bioconversion of food waste into BioGrubs
5% bioconversion of scraps into dark, friable castings
Main Body Volume: 10 gallons / 38 liters
Harvest Bucket Volume: 2 gallons / 7.5 liters
3.9 kg or 8.6 lbs empty
Pod Parts - Roto-molded, UV-stabilized, medium density polyethylene resin
Drainage Plate (clear, perforated) - polypropylene resin
Drainage Pad (green, non-woven mesh) - polyester fiber
Drainage Connectors - nylon, PVC
Metal hardware - stainless steel
Quantity / Parts
1 body, 1 main lid kit, 1 inner convenience lid, 1 drainage pad / plate, 1 harvest bucket, 1 drainage connector
Light taupe (weathered grayish-brown)
Time Required: approx. less than 10 minutes (single person)
Tools Needed: socket wrench or small, standard wrench to install drainage connector
Food scrap recycling
Raising soldier grubs
Digestion of pet waste
Dual migration ramps for auto-harvesting into collection bucket
Drainage pad / plate allows liquids to passively seep into liquid catchment area
Top lip barrier helps prevent grub escape while increasing the surface for egg laying
Made and developed with pride in Texas
1 year on parts and manufacturing defects (replacement parts available)
FINISHED END PRODUCTS
A. Fresh, live Soldier Grubs
B. Black Friable Compost Residue
C. Liquid Tea Concentrate
A. Uses for Soldier Grubs
1. Bird & Wildlife Feeders (omnivore and carnivore species)
2. Reptile / Amphibian Food (Herps)
3. Fishing Bait (hooked in rear)
4. Small-scale Aquaculture / Aquaponics
5. Aquariums / Koi Ponds / Aquaponics - Live Food
6. Backyard Chickens / Poultry Feed
7. Creation of Starter Colonies
8. Beneficial Addition to Mixed Waste Compost Piles
B. Uses for Friable Black Compost
1. Gardening Amendments
2. Custom Soil Blends
3. Vermiculture / Worm Bin Food
4. Indoor Houseplant Additive
C. Uses for Liquid Tea
1. Natural Filth Fly Repellent
2. Female Attractant for Restarting Colony
3. Liquid Plant Fertilizer (dilute 20:1)
SMALL SCALE APPLICATIONS
1. Diversion of Biodegradable Kitchen Scraps
2. Pet Waste Digester (exclusive, feces only)
3. Food Waste Recycling - small office
4. Reduction of Organic Trash (10:1)
5. Improve quality of recyclables by pre-separatio